WSC u8 Game Guidelines (Coaches please print and have available at games if needed)
• Each team ideally has 12-14 players playing 4 v 4 on 2 fields with 2-3 subs per field
• Players may play in either game, they are not restricted to just one field
• ONE active adult / coach on the field during games to help keep the game fun, safe and even
• Other coaches should supervise subs on the sideline • Make frequent substitutions so all players get sufficient playing times
• No goalkeepers or goal guards standing in front of the goal!
• No formal positions other than a general 2 defenders 2 offense but let the players have free run of the field
• Ball goes out on the side: the players pass the ball back into play, with opponents retreating at least 5 yards
• Ball goes out over the end line: defenders place the ball on the endline and pass or dribble the ball into play – offense team should retreat to the center line
• Play corner kicks
• Restart from the center after a goal
• It is not necessary to change direction at half time keep it simple
• During games the on the field coach can pass the ball into space and otherwise ‘guide’ the game to meet the objectives of ‘fun and safety’, this may require ‘helping’ the weaker team if there is one.
• Keep the game flowing – restart quickly when the ball goes out of play
>• We know the kids love to score goals that is part of the fun but as coaches we do not keep or reinforce game scores
• If a team is short of players please share!
• The on the field coaches needs to actively help both teams so all players enjoy the experience!